In the past, King Le Thanh Tong often anchored his boat by the island to view the beauty of the island, the sky, the cloud, waters and got inspiration to write poems.
Song Ngu Island covers two small islands. The big one is 133m high, the small one is 88m high comparing to the sea level. In order to view the panorama of the island, you must stand on the river bank. The old sayings mentioned that “the scenery with mountain and river is so interesting!”. Song Ngu Island is not only cherished mountain and river but also the blue sea. The island makes Cua Lo Beach more poetic.
Having set foot on the island, tourists are fond of viewing strange pebbles shore, stretching kilometres. If you want to swim, you can swim on the “Fairy” bathing beach in transparent waters.
There is a big pagoda on the island. The pagoda was built in the Tran Dynasty in the 13th and 14th centuries. Princess Huyen Tran, who was saved and taken to Thang Long by general Tran Khat Chan, once was on the island and burnt incenses in the pagoda. The old bell in the pagoda was cast in the Tran Dynasty. On the pagoda’s yard, you can sit under shadow of centuries-old trees and view transparent water of Fairy Well. The well water is used to distil very delicious steam rice alcohol, which is very famous in the central province of Nghe An.
Song Ngu Island is veined with trails inviting visitors to wander for several hours. The captain summons passengers back with a bell and ferries them to a floating village specialising in ca gio, a fish weighing up to 5kg whose meat is as white and tender as lean pork. Raising ca gio in submerged cages, the fishermen hope to relocate farther out to a 300ha area west of “Dao Mat” (Eye Island), a move they expect will lure more tourists.
Besides bathing beach, viewing the island to enjoy fresh air, you can join in mountain climbing or sightseeing tour round the island and visiting Ca Do Dao Ngu Aquarium.
More Vietnam Destinations:
- Ha Long Bay – a magnificent magical destination
- Ninh Binh province – a huge tourism potential
- Perfume Pagoda (Chùa Hương) – “the first ranking Southern grotto”
- Tam Coc-Bich Dong, “South second nicest grotto”
- Lai Chau – a beautiful mountainous land
- Sapa, the fanciful town in fog
- Hoi An Old Town – an ancient Beauty of Vietnam
- Mỹ Sơn Holy land – a masterpiece of Chăm Architecture
- Quang Tri and the Demilitarised Zone
- Vinh Moc Tunnel – a famous Vietnam’s historical relic
- Da Lat – a flowerful town of romance
- Ben Tre – huge potential of ecological tourism in Vietnam
- Coconut palms, the symbol of Ben Tre
- Floating markets – the outstanding in Mekong Delta
- Van Phong Bay, impressive and unforgettable...
- A mysterious, charming lady-like land...
- A tranquil destination for visitors!
- The Mekong Delta in brief
- Beautiful sceneries in the Central Highlands
- Dai Nam Van Hien, Vietnam’s first safari park
- The immense pride of Ninh Binh’s inhabitants
- Enjoy Sa Dec Flower Gardens!
- My Tho fruit market
- Ba Li Stream, a new destination
- Sam Mountain - a place of pilgrimage for the Vietnamese
- Oc-Eo Remains Site
- Ton Thanh Pagoda – the national vestige
- Binh Ta Archaeological Vestiges
- Beautiful birds in Bac Lieu
- Hon Khoai Island, primeval and interesting...